Allan Offringa, ATF Special Agent – Retired
Allan retired in 2002, after 31 years as a Special Agent with the United States Treasury Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and he holds a BA in Sociology and Political Science from the Central University of Iowa,
He is considered an elite authority on the topic of firearms, and is a graduate of ATF’s;
- Advanced agent training, street survival school, Glynco, GA.
- Interstate NEXUS school, Glynco, GA., and Washington, D.C.
- Advanced Interstate NEXUS school, New England.
- Advanced Interstate NEXUS Ammunition school, Mid-West
- Advanced Interstate NEXUS school, Europe
- Firearms Technology Instructor School, Glynco, Ga.
- State and Local ACC school, Glynco, GA.
- State and Local Undercover School, Glynco, GA
- Mass. State Police Advanced Narcotics School.
- Brockton Police academy, Brockton, Mass.
- Barnstable Police academy, Barnstable, Mass.
- Fall River Police academy, Fall River Mass.
- New Bedford Police academy, New Bedford, Mass.
- New Hampshire State Police, Concord, NH.
- Int’l Law Enforcement Academy, Budapest, Hungary
- Int’l Law Enforcement Academy, Panama
- Int’l Law Enforcement Academy, Africa
- ATF National Firearms Examiner Academy
For over 50 years Allan has had a personal interest in the history of firearms and ammunition, and has an extensive personal library relating to said field of study. He has done research at the police reference collections of firearms and ammunition at the London Metropolitan Police, London, England, British War Museum (the archives), London England, the Patent Room at Enfield, Windsor Lock, England, Royal Hong Kong Police Lab, Hong Kong, Victoria Police Lab., Victoria, Australia, BWB Reference Collection, Koblenz, Germany, ATF Reference Collection, Washington, D.C., and Massachusetts. Massachusetts State Police Reference Collection, Boston, Massachusetts, Boston Police Reference Collection and the Houston Police Reference Collection, Houston, Texas.
He has examined tens of thousands of firearms and ammunition which have been manufactured in the United States and abroad.
During his ATF career, he also served as the Lead Firearm Instructor of ATF’s Boston Field Division, as well as having served on protective details for the President of the United States, U.S. Presidential Candidates and Foreign Dignitaries. He also served on board United States aircraft as a “Sky Marshal”.
Prior to his ATF career, Allan was employed by the US Customs Service as a Special Agent. His duties included the examination and identification of firearms and ammunition for the purpose of importation.
Also prior to, and since his career as a federal Agent, Allan was and is still a Police Officer in Massachusetts, including being the Chief of Police. His duties include the examination and identification of firearms and ammunition used by the police and those involved in criminal cases.
Mr. Offringa also has experience as a firearm salesman for two separate federally licensed firearms dealers, with experience in the examination, identification and evaluation of firearms for purchase and resale. This included personal contact with various firearms and ammunition manufacturers and importers.
Allan has successfully completed Armorer’s courses through Bushmaster, Colt, Smith & Wesson, SIG, Heckler & Koch, Remington, Glock, Ruger and Beretta. He has testified over 300 times as an expert witness concerning firearms/ammunition identification and origin in Federal Courts in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Texas, as well as in State Courts in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Texas. He is also a Life member of the National Rifle Association, and a member of the International Ammunition Association.
He continues to work as a consultant in the field of GCA, NFA, firearms and ammunition identification, the appraisal of firearms and ammunition, and in the field of firearms and ammunition function and design.